When you’re choosing a cruise itinerary, be sure to consider ships that begin—or end—their cruises from Stockholm. Even if you don’t add on a couple of nights before or after your cruise to enjoy the Swedish capital, you’ll still appreciate cruising into or out of one of the world’s most beautiful turnaround ports. If you need a little inspiration, here are 10 reasons to cruise to or from Stockholm.
1. Super Sublime Capital City. Built on 14 islands, Stockholm appears to be floating on water. Add to that the beautiful architecture and an abundance of nature, and you couldn’t ask for a prettier port of arrival—or departure.
2. Awesome Archipelago. If 14 islands should prove to be insufficient, not to worry: At Stockholm’s doorstep are 30,000 islands in the archipelago. Cruising through the archipelago is surely one of the world’s most beautiful transits.
3. Ancient Old Town. Gamla Stan, Stockholm’s Old Town, is one of the world’s best-preserved Medieval cities. Enjoy strolling the Old Town’s narrow alleys and cobble-stone streets, taking time to stop in cozy cafes, shops and world-class restaurants.
4. Pedestrian & Bicycle Friendly. The Swedish capital is compact and easy to get around on foot or by bike. Want to experience Stockholm’s nature? Bicycle through the former royal deer park known as Djurgården. Some of the scenes in Djurgården fool you into thinking you’re in the Swedish countryside when, in fact, you’re in the city center.
5. Fika. What is this strange word? Fika is a Swedish social institution, where friends sit down and chat about life and current events over snacks like kanelbulle, the Swedish version of a cinnamon bun, and a cappuccino. Be sure to fika in one of Stockholm’s many cozy cafes.
6. Value. Surveys show that Stockholm offers the best value among the Scandinavian capitals. Want more for your money? Think Stockholm.
7. City of History & Culture. Stockholm has the world’s highest concentration of museums and an abundance of attractions and galleries.
8. Green City. With one-third of its land area covered in parks, and one-third in water, Stockholm is a green city. Stockholm was the first city to be awarded Europe’s Green Capital.
9. Easy Access. Getting to Stockholm from destinations worldwide is easy thanks to numerous flights daily from all over the world, including some low-cost carriers.
10. Capital of Scandinavia. Stockholm is not just the capital of Sweden but also the self-proclaimed capital of Scandinavia. Why? The city is a Nordic hub in both business and in culture. For cruisers, that means excellent infrastructure and convenient cultural activities.
Scandinavian Airlines – The Easiest Way to Reach Stockholm Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) offers more nonstop flights from the U.S. to Scandinavia than any other airline. As Europe’s and the world’s most punctual airline, SAS also offers efficient onward connections to dozens of cities throughout Scandinavia and the rest of Europe. SAS flies nonstop from New York (Newark) and Chicago to Stockholm and through its partnership with Air Canada and United Airlines, it provides smooth connections to Scandinavia from over 60 cities in the U.S. and Canada.