With a list of cruise offerings that include star-studded world cruises and sailings paired with deluxe hotel stays and guided shore excursions, it’s no wonder Silversea Cruises continues to expand.
The Silversea Group has announced the purchase of Ecuadorian tourism company Canodros S.A., which operates in the Galapagos Islands with its luxury expedition ship, Galapagos Explorer II.
The Galapagos Explorer II offers 50 oceanview suites—24 of which feature private balconies—a restaurant, piano bar, library and Internet station, outdoor bar, marine observation deck and two whirlpools. The ship, of course, will undergo a major refurbishment and will be relaunched in September 2013 under a new name and as an addition to Silverseas’ current expedition cruise offerings, which as of now feature polar expeditions aboard the Silver Explorer.
Cruises already scheduled aboard the Galapagos Explorer II will not be affected by the purchase, and future cruises will continue to offer the same itineraries, lectures and practices that Canodros is known for. For more information, visit galapagosexplorer.com.
The 382-guest Silver Whisper could easily transit the Panama Canal as it travels from Los Angeles to Fort Lauderdale this coming January, but where would the fun be in that? Instead, the ship will sail a World Cruise itinerary, making its way westward toward New Zealand, Australia and French Polynesia, past the Asian cities of Hong Kong, Bangkok and Singapore, and making stops along the Western coast of Africa before crossing the Atlantic and docking in Florida.
Making this 115-day “scenic route” even more appealing is the long list of famous lecturers, writers, journalists and entertainers that will come and go, such as:
• Journalist and BBC correspondent Michael Buerk, along with Terry Waite—who was taken hostage in Beirut while negotiating for the release of other hostages—will sail from Los Angeles to Sydney, Jan. 5-Feb. 4
• Lynne Truss, author of “Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation,” will sail from Sydney to Hong Kong, Feb. 4-25
• Best-selling author Mary Higgens Clark will sail from Hong Kong to Singapore, Feb. 25-March 8
• World affairs commentator and lecturer Dr. Mark H. Elovitz will sail from Mauritius to Cape Town, March 24-April 5
• Military historian Nigel West, author of “At Her Majesty’s Secret Service,” will sail from Cape Town to Fort Lauderdale, April 5-May 1
The Silver Whisper features such amenities as a wellness spa and beauty salon, fitness center and sauna, boutique shopping, multi-level show lounge, Internet cafe and WiFi, casino, Connoisseur’s Corner featuring premium cigars and cognacs, and an array of restaurants and lounges. The World Cruise will sail from Jan. 5, 2013-May 1, 2013. For more information, visit silversea.com/worldcruise2013.
Always moving forward, Silversea Cruises has added a new line of special Shore Amore Mediterranean cruise options aboard the Silver Spirit this summer. Shore Amore itineraries pair the luxury all-inclusive shipboard amenities that Silversea is known for with a pre-cruise deluxe hotel stay including breakfast, a local experience, and a selection of small-group shore excursions in every port.
The five Shore Amore itineraries planned so far include:
• The 12-day Barcelona to Venice, July 22-Aug. 3, featuring a 1-night stay at the Casa Fuster Hotel plus Tapas and Touring shore experience in Barcelona, with ports of call including Palma de Mallorca, Trapani, Sicily and Dubrovnik; rates from $9,299
• The 11-day Venice to Istanbul, Aug. 2-13, featuring a 1-night stay at Venice’s Monaco and Grand Canal Hotel plus a gondola ride along the Grand Canal, with ports of call including Split, Kotor, Corfu, Santorini and Kusadasi; rates from $8,999
• The 8-day Istanbul to Athens, Aug. 12-20, featuring a 1-night stay at the Ceylan InterContinental Hotel plus a cruise along the Bosphorus, with ports of call including Kusadasi, Rhodes, Aghios Nikolaos and Mykonos; rates from $7,199
• The 8-day Athens to Venice, Aug. 19-27, featuring a 1-night stay at the Grande Bretagne Hotel plus Dinner with Acropolis View shore experience, with ports of call including Monemvasia, Corfu, Kotor and Split; rates from $6,299
• The 8-day Venice to Monte Carlo, Aug. 26-Sept. 3, featuring a 1-night stay at Venice’s Monaco and Grand Canal Hotel plus a gondola ride along the Grand Canal, with ports of call including Dubrovnik, Messina, Sorrento and Bonifacio; rates from $6,299
Rates are inclusive of gourmet cuisine; butler service; all onboard gratuities; complimentary beverages, wines and spirits; 24-hour room service; stocked in-suite beverage cabinet and a variety of enrichment and entertainment programs. For more information, visit silversea.com/shoreamore.
For more information about Silverseas Cruises, call (877) 215-9986 or visit silversea.com.